Leader Accreditation Department Council
A fund has been set up in memory of Karin Gausman to express our deep gratitude to her for helping Leader Applicants and LAD representatives worldwide with their education and enrichment opportunities.
Funds will be used to help Leader Applicants with their application and accreditation fees with priority given to Applicants with financial difficulties. LAD representatives with financial difficulties will receive help with attendance at LLL conferences and other LLL-related educational opportunities.
Donations can be sent in one of the following ways:
1. Donations in dollars
Please donate via paypal through the LLL Alliance website. Go to the “Donations” page at lllalliance.org/donations/ and click on the Karin Gausman Fund “Donate” button.
Please make paper checks payable to “LAD West” and write on the memo line of the check “Karin Gausman Fund.” Post these by mail to:
N140 W18100 Cedar Lane
Richfield, WI 53076
2. Donations in euros
Please donate via paypal through the La Leche League Europe PayPal account or through bank transfer:
La Leche League Europe Bank account
IBAN: NL66 INGB 0005 0556 36
Mark your donations “Karin Gausman Fund”
3. Donations to La Leche League International
Please donate via: https://llli.thankyou4caring.org/lllidonatenow
Indicate in the section “Tribute Information”:
First name [Karin], Last name [Gausman],
Type [In Memory of], Description [LAD use]. Donations will go toward LAD expenses.
Donations to the Karin Gausman Fund through LLL Alliance, LAD West, or LLLI are fully tax-deductible in the USA.
Applications for the fund started in February 2017. For more information please see the frequently asked questions below.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Karin Gausman Fund (KGF)
Who is eligible?
- Candidates for LLL leadership who meet the prerequisites, have financial limitations, and have active Leader support. Current Leader Applicants who meet these criteria may also apply.
- Leader Accreditation Department (LAD) representatives who want to attend an LLL educational event and have a financial need.
For a Leader Applicant or candidate for LLL leadership:
Forms to submit to the Coordinator of Leader Accreditation (CLA):
- KGF Leader Applicant Application Form
- KGF Supporting Leader Recommendation Form
What will the Leader Applicant approved for funding receive?
- An Applicant who is approved for funding will have $50 US, 55€ (or the relative equivalent of $50 US in the local currency) of the KGF reserved in her name.
- The KGF treasurer will then be instructed to transfer the amount of application fee out of that reserved amount to the appropriate entity.
- If funds remain after the application fee is paid (or if that fee was already paid by the Leader Applicant), the remaining amount can be applied to the accreditation fee, or can be used to reimburse the Applicant upon accreditation to cover other fees incurred in relation to the application/accreditation (e.g., resources, membership, Leader dues).
Why is there one set amount for each Applicant who is approved to receive funding?
Application and accreditation fees around the world vary greatly, as do membership fees and resource costs. The creators of the fund looked at this wide range and worked to find an acceptable average. With one set amount, Applicants receiving funding will know the set amount when they apply to the KGF, the treasurer’s job will be less complicated, and the KGF Coordinator will be able to better determine how many Applicants can be funded.
The role of the candidate for leadership or Leader Applicant
- Submit a KGF Leader Applicant Application Form.
- Ask the supporting Leader to submit a KGF Supporting Leader Recommendation Form.
- Complete the application for LLL leadership form and send it to the CLA (if candidate for funds is not yet a Leader Applicant).
- Commit to active work on the application, setting appropriate goals to reach accreditation within one year.
The role of the supporting Leader
- Submit a KGF Supporting Leader Recommendation Form to the CLA.
- Encourage the Applicant to submit a KGF Leader Applicant Application Form to the CLA.
- Submit a Leader Recommendation form (if the candidate is not yet a Leader Applicant).
- Commit to ongoing, active support for the Applicant during the application time, assisting in the completion of the application work within one year.
The role of the LAD representative working with the Applicant and supporting Leader
- Commit to especially timely correspondences with all involved in the Leader application.
- Encourage the Applicant and supporting Leader to set and meet goals with regard to application work.
- Submit a KGF Quarterly Report form to the KGF Coordinator for each quarter that the KGF recipient remains a Leader Applicant.
- Immediately upon receiving the signed Statement of Commitment (SoC), contact the KGF Coordinator to let her know of the accreditation. She will have the remaining funds transferred to the appropriate person or entity.
How does the CLA submit a KGF request?
Sends the KGF Coordinator the following:
- Completed KGF Leader Applicant Application Form.
- Completed KGF Supporting Leader Recommendation Form.
- Confirmation that the appropriate application paperwork and fee have been received, and that the interested candidate meets the Leader application prerequisites.
- Name and contact information for the LAD representative working with the Applicant.
- Any information she has about the Applicant or Group that will help the KGF Coordinator make a determination regarding funding.
- The contact information for the finance person to whom the application fee is to be paid.
What if the Applicant discontinues her application?
Please notify the KGF Coordinator. She will then be able to release any remaining money earmarked for that Applicant back into the fund. This will allow for someone else to receive funding.
For a LAD representative applying for KGF finds:
Forms to submit to the LAD support person:
- KGF LAD Representative Application Form
- KGF Supporting LAD Representative Recommendation Form
What will the LAD representative approved for funding receive?
- Amount of funding provided will be based on event fee, need of recipient, availability of other funding options, and work that recipient will be doing at the event (presenting session, representing the LAD, educational opportunity, etc.).
- Funding can be paid directly to event registrar or to LAD representative if registration and accommodation fees have already been paid by the LAD representative.
The role of the LAD representative
- Submit a KGF LAD Representative Application Form to the Administrator of Leader Accreditation (ALA).
- Ask the supporting LAD representative to submit a KGF Supporting LAD Representative Recommendation Form to the ALA.
- Attend the educational event (representing the LAD if appropriate).
- Lead a session at the event, write a LAD article within three months of the event, or lead a session within three months at another LLL event.
- Send the session outline or the article to the KGF Coordinator (also send to the LAD support person for regular review).
The role of the supporting LAD representative
- Submit a KGF Supporting LAD Representative Recommendation Form to the ALA.
- Encourage the LAD representative to submit a KGF LAD Representative Application Form to the ALA.
- Support the LAD representative in planning a session or writing an article.
How does the ALA submit a LAD representative KGF request?
Sends the KGF Coordinator the following:
- KGF LAD Representative Application Form.
- KGF Supporting LAD Representative Recommendation Form.
- Reasons why she believes the LAD representative should receive funding.
What if the LAD representative is unable to present a session or write an article?
Please notify the KGF Coordinator. She will work with you and the LAD representative to find a way for the session/article requirement to be met.
If you have other questions, please contact your local Leader Accreditation Department.